Sterling and Rock Falls Fire Crews were called shortly before 10am Wednesday to the Cimco Recycling Warehouse at 3101 West 4th Street for a structure fire.
When crews arrived on the scene they observed thick black smoke coming from the building. It is believed a piece of machinery in the conveyor belt started the fire.
Deputy Michael Dettman said a hot piece of steel had come in contact with the grease and debris in and around the conveyor belt. The fire then spread to other piles of debris inside the building. Employees attempted to extinguish the fire before crews arrived.
It is estimated about 10% of the building was damaged due to the fire. There were no injuries.
It took fire crews about 20 minutes to contain the fire and crews were on scene for about 2 hours. Assisting on scene were Dixon City and Milledgeville Coleta.