As people well know, a gas explosion can be a devastating and deadly event. Some of the times when these catastrophic events happen it is due to someone striking a line, such as what happened in Wisconsin on Wednesday and locally in Nachusa in December.
However, Dixon City Fire Chief Tim Shipman said they get calls quite often concerning persons striking a gas line in their yard. Shipman says the amazing thing is the fact the homeowner was not doing a major project in their yard, but, they were just planting some flowers or a bush and they struck the line.
Shipman said no matter what your doing in the yard just call for a Julie check first, just to make sure. He also says if you do some work around a gas water heater or gas fed appliance have the lines checked.
The chief said the major line break can be devastating, but, the worst is actually the tiny and unnoticeable leak which builds up in a home. This gas is just waiting for the first little spark to set it off.
He said even though the gas companies have put an odorant into the gas to give it a smell, the tiny leak can still be unnoticed. Shipman said now is the time to check your lines out, just in case.